- 1:57 | Spoiler-free
- 21:35 | Spoilers!
- The show is very much a modern Fight Club, and it knows it.
- Right off the bat, they present the goal of fsociety as erasing all the world’s debt.
- Elliot addresses the audience directly as the narrator. Mr Robot grounds this in the show’s world by presenting the audience as Elliot’s imaginary friend.
- Late in the season they use a piano cover of Where Is My Mind? which is the song that appears at the end of Fight Club.
- Modern not just because of the tech in the show, but also in the fact that it is a TV show with short seasons.
- Huge focus on cinematography. Almost every shot has framing that is just slightly off from where you would expect.
- [Buck] There was a period in the middle of the season where I felt it was just being edgy for edginess’ sake, and nothing interesting was happening. But then the plot picked back up in the last few episodes.
- They got the hacking terms right (Using AES-256, WPA2 being unhackable, 2FA being important, rainbow tables/easy password hacks based off of pet names, etc.)
- Will it age well? Pop culture references, security practices?
- Are the people following Elliot real or in his head?
Main Lesson From Each Episode
- Use randomly generated passwords, kids!
- Walk your dog regularly, or it will poop on your bed.
- Dinner at your boss’ place will be awkward as heck.
- Don't do drugs!
- Social engineering is the most powerful hacking.
- Don’t pick up thumb drives from the parking lot and plug them into your work computer (or any computer).
- Be careful when seducing people not to get carried away.
- Time is money.
- Stealing from pricks is okay!
- If you need to hide your fingerprints, just throw a big party at your place!
Buck's Favorite Lines
Ollie: “I just feel like it's been really awkward between us.”
Elliot: “I'm okay with it being awkward between us.”
Tyrell: “Join me for lunch?”
Eliot: “Sure. I eat lunch.”